Van Conversion: The right way to Fit Bonded Rear Windows

After installing our roof vent, the following job was to install the two rear windows! We decided to go for bonded rear windows as we don’t really have to open them since we’re having openable side windows, and if we’d like any further air flow, then we will just open up the back doorways instead. Since the side home windows aren’t going to be blacked out, we went for the green windows, which is the standard glass colour.

We started by drilling some pilot holes from inside the Transit Van Windows across the space that we wanted to cut out. Shane made additional pilot holes around the corners to make it rather a lot simpler to cut around. As soon as the pilot holes had been drilled, he reduce across the area with the jigsaw to remove the inner panel. We determined to solely do one window at a time, just to verify it was all working.

As soon as the metal was reduce out, we used the u-profile edge trim to assist seal the window and to make it neater (and safer) from the inside of the van. When we spoke to the guy that we bought it from, he advisable to begin at the bottom of the window and work up and around, just to stop any water from getting inside the seal, and to overlap it a tiny bit, just to make certain that it’s all sealed!

Once the sting trim was on, we cleaned the outside of the van with a number of the totalseal 7016 cleaner & activator to remove any grime that was on the surface. We then cleaned the back of the glass with it too, just to remove any grime and grease from our fingerprints.

All the totalseal merchandise are designed to be used together, so we then used the totalseal 5028 primer and painted it around the glass panel where the adhesive would be used to assist with the adhesion and left it to dry for quarter-hour before making use of the adhesive. You should also apply the primer to the van too for best adhesion (which we forgot to do).

We found that the adhesive was like a very thick tar, which was nearly impossible to use, but we found that heating the container up in some warm water to roughly room temperature helped to apply it. The nozzle comes precut with a ‘v’ form into it in order that not an excessive amount of is used.

Apply a thin layer around the fringe of the edge trim in as shut to 1 movement as you will get, however not so shut that it’ll spill over when the pressure of the glass is pushed onto it. Be sure that there are no gaps, otherwise water will leak through. You don’t want to apply an excessive amount of, otherwise it will overflow onto the glass pane, or out of the edge of the glass like what happened to us on the primary window, which can cause leaks!

We then rapidly placed the window into position with the glass suction lifter. Fortunately my dad had one, but if you happen to don’t have one helpful, it’s fairly simple to just place it without the lifter. Ensure you place it a bit higher on the top than the bottom and ensure it’s far over enough in order that the 2 glass panels don’t hit against each other while you shut them! We put it right to the sting of the pane, but it surely was a close one! You’ll want to be fast though, because the adhesive dries really quickly!

Once the window is in place, depart it to dry for a couple of hours. We left it overnight to dry up, then checked to make sure it was waterproof. Shane poured water all around the edges while I stood inside checking that no water got here inside the van! And that’s pretty much it! It was such a simple job to do (in all probability simpler than the rooflight) and only took a couple of hours to do both windows.